While not your grandma's Rodgers and Hammerstein music, In the Heights is a traditional book musical with a clever use of hip-hop as narrative and recitative and unabashed Latin soul throughout. Lin-Manuel Miranda's inclusion of rap for his character as "Usnavi" in no way takes away from the Musical Theatre genre, as a die-heard musical fan might fear. After all, the original productions of Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar ushered in rock music to the Musical Theatre genre. In the Heights employs a purposeful blend of modern and ethnic music styles coming together to create a cast album you will want to listen to over and over again.
For the 2009 Broadway season, In the Heights won Tony Awards in the categories of Best Musical for producers Kevin McCollum, Jeffrey Seller, Jill Furman, Sander Jacobs, Goodman/Grossman, Peter Fine, and Everett/Skipper, Best Score (Music and/or Lyrics) for Lin-Manuel Miranda, Best Choreographer for Andy Blankenbuehler, and Best Orchestrations for Alex Lacamoire and Bill Sherman.
Due to the high quality of the music, the vocal performances, and sound production, this cast album also won the 2008 Grammy Award for Best Musical Show Album.
Cast Album Particulars
Both Gonzalez and Olivo give powerful, emotional performances from both acting and vocal perspectives, but the standout performer is Olga Merediz as "Abuela Claudia." Merediz adeptly delivers a performance filled with spot-on comedic touches and great heart.
Lending their voices on this great cast album in principal and supporting roles are Janet Dacal as "Carla," Priscilla Lopez as "Camila," Andréa Burns as "Daniela," Eliseo Román as "Piragua Guy," Seth Stewart as "Graffiti Pete," Carlos Goméz as "Kevin," and Robin De Jesús as "Sonny."
The ensemble includes Michael Balderrama, Blanca Camacho, Tony Chiroldes, Rogelio Douglas, Jr., Rosie Lani Fiedelman, Joshua Henry, Afra Hines, Stephanie Klemons, Nina Lafarga, Doreen Montalvo (as the "Bolero singer"), Javier Munoz, Krysta Rodriguez, Eliseo Roman, Luis Salgado, Shaun Taylor-Corbett, and Rickey Tripp.
In the Heights opens the door for more stories to be told from the perspective of non-traditional music styles and contribute to the melting pot heritage that is the heart of Musical Theatre.
CD Disc: 1
1. In The Heights - Usnavi and Company
2. Breathe - Nina and Company
3. Benny's Dispatch - Benny and Nina
4. It Won't Be Long Now - Vanessa, Usnavi, and Sonny
5. Inútil (Useless) - Kevin
6. No Me Diga - Daniela, Carla, Vanessa, and Nina
7. 96,000 - Usnavi, Benny, Sonny, Vanessa, Daniela, Carla, and Company
8. Pacienca Y Fe (Patience and Faith) - Abuela Claudia and Company
9. When You're Home - Nina, Benny, and Company
10. Piragua - The Club
11. The Club - Company
12. Blackout - Company
CD Disc: 2
1. Sunrise - Nina, Benny, and Company
2. Hundreds of Stories - Abuela Claudia and Usnavi
3. Enough - Camila
4. Carnaval Del Barrio - Daniela and Company
5. Atención - Kevin
6. Alabanza - Usnavi, Nina, and Company
7. Everything I Know - Nina
8. Piragua (Reprise) - Piragua Guy
9. Champagne - Vanessa and Usnavi
10. When The Sun Goes Down - Nina and Benny
11. Finale - Usnavi and Company
Other Broadway Cast Albums
- Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Original Broadway Cast Album
- Follies, 2011 Broadway revival
- The Book of Mormon, Original Broadway Cast Album
- Anything Goes, 2011 Broadway revival
- A Christmas Story, Original Broadway Cast Album
- Jekyll & Hyde, 2012 Concept Cast
- War Horse, Original Cast Album
- Mary Poppins, Australian Cast Recording
- Evita, 2012 Broadway revival
- Lysistrata Jones, Original Broadway Cast Album
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Encores! Cast Recording