Priscilla Cast Album Is Not a Drag
Priscilla Queen of the Desert is more like a revue than a book musical, as it is a story told using well-known songs and not showtunes written specifically for the show. This did not seem to matter to audiences or the producers as the Broadway cast album was set before the show opened in New York.
All the dance energy you would expect from a high-class discotheque has been thrown in to Priscilla. Iconic 1970's disco dance tunes in the show include, "It's Raining Men," "I Will Survive," and "Shake Your Groove Thing," along with 1980's anthems "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and "Material Girl." But not all the songs are disco club fare.
The reprise of "I Say a Little Prayer" takes a break from the predictable disco eight-to-the-bar and slows it down to a guitar-driven ballad segueing into the more familiar upbeat tempo. An ode to opera makes a brief appearance with a bit of Verdi thrown in for good measure.
In the lead are 2011 Tony Award nominee Tony Sheldon as "Bernadette," Will Swenson as "Tick/Mitzi," and Nick Adams as "Adam/Felicia." Some slow, tender moments are sprinkled throughout the show, but most songs are group numbers belted out by the leads and backed up by the ensemble cast or featuring the three "Divas," sung by Jacqueline B. Arnold, Anastacia McCleskey, Ashley Spencer.
The stage production received criticism for using "canned music," but whatever they did in the studio for the cast album, it was worth it. Priscilla Queen of the Desert is a full-out party that will have you dancing in your seat. This is perfect music for dancing, exercising, or just to lift your mood because no one can stay mad long when listening to disco.
If you missed the stage show, the national tour of Priscilla Queen of the Desert kicks off its heels in 2013. Until then, get this album for your Broadway OCR collection and party like it's a 1970's drag queen parade!
a) I Love the Nightlife (Disco 'Round) by [A. Bridges, S. Hutchinson]
b) Finally by [F. Delgado, R. Jackson, C. Penniston]
c) Go West by [H. Belolo, J. Morali, V. Willis]
2. It's Raining Men by [P. Jabara, P.Schaffer]
3. Don't Leave Me This Way by [C. Gilbert, K. Gamble, L. Huff]
4. Material Girl by [P. Brown, R. Rans]
5. Go West by [H. Belolo, J. Morali, V. Willis]
6. I Say A Little Prayer by [B. Bacharach, H. David]
7. I Love the Nightlife (Disco 'Round) by [A. Bridges, S. Hutchinson]
8. True Colors by [Kelly/Steinberg]
9. Follie! Delirio Vano e Questo! by [G. Verdi]
10. Color My World by [T. hatch, J. Trent]
11. I Will Survive by [D. Fekaris, F. Perren]
12. A Fine Romance by [D. Fields, J. Kern]
13. Shake Your Groove Thing by [D. Fekaris, F. Perren]
14. Pop Muzik by [R. Scott]
15. A Fine Romance (Reprise) by [D. Fields, J. Kern]
16. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by [R. Hazard]
17. Hot Stuff by [P. bellotte, H. Faltermeyer, K. Forsey]
18. MacArthur Park by [J. Webb]
19. Always On My Mind / I Say A Little Prayer by [J. Christopher, M. James, W. Thompson / B. Bacharach, H. David]
20. Like A Prayer by [P. Leonard, Madonna]
21. We Belong by [E. Lowen, D. Navarro]
a) Finally by [F. Delgado, R. Jackson, C. Penniston]
b) Shake Your Groove Thing by [D. Fekaris, F. Perren
c) Hot Stuff by [P. bellotte, H. Faltermeyer, K. Forsey
d) I Love the Nightlife (Disco 'Round) by [A. Bridges, S. Hutchinson]
e) I Will Survive by [D. Fekaris, F. Perren]